There’s nothing quite like enjoying a nice hot bowl of chili on a frigid fall evening at the campground. This recipe from Fresh Off The Grid is easy and quick to make, which makes it perfect for making after a long day of hiking, biking, or exploring the National Parks. All you need are a few easy ingredients, a Dutch oven, and a nice campfire.
Recipe adapted from one on FreshOffTheGrid.com
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz can black beans, drained
- 14 oz can red kidney beans, drained
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeds removed (see below)
- 12 oz can beer, preferably lager
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Build a strong fire and spread out the embers to create an even heating surface.
- Meanwhile, remove the number of peppers from the can and set the adobo sauce aside. You can use the whole can if you want the chili to be spicy or cut down the number of peppers to your preferred heat level. Cut open the peppers and remove the seeds and ribs. Roughly chop and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat a drizzle of oil.
- Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Drain the kidney beans and black beans, then add the beans, tomatoes with the juices, chipotles, adobo sauce, beer, salt, and spices. Stir to combine.
- Cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot and topped with cheese, sour cream, avocado, and green onions. You can also cook cornbread to serve with your chili.
Contact us today to find your ideal RV for your adventures. We’ll help you take home a great family RV for an incredible price.